Read more about our working groups by clicking on the below tabs.
Working Group on the 4th Industrial Revolution
The working group was founded in 2018 by the Southern African-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The main objective of the working group is to support advocacy engagements by the German / EU Chamber related to a wide range of topics in the development of South Africa in the 4IR.
We support EU companies or companies representing EU-based firms by
- advocating towards an attractive investment and business climate
- supporting policies that duly acknowledge the essential role of responsible foreign direct investment to the sustainable and inclusive growth as well as associated job creation in Southern Africa
Besides meeting on a regular basis, the working group also has a number of sub groups:
- Skills development & human capital
- Digitalization & SMMEs
- ICT infrastructure, cyber security, 5G
- Industry 4.0 advanced manufacturing
- Science, technology, innovation & applications
Participation in the working group is open to all members of any of EU states representatives Chambers of Commerce operating in the Republic of South Africa.
Marc Van Pelt
|Thululela Pupuma tpupuma(at)germanchamber.co.za
Working Group: Mining
The Competence Centre for Mining & Mineral Resources at the Southern African - German Chamber of Commerce and Industry established a working group for mining consisting of all relevant Mining Industry Stakeholders. It aims to be a link between AHK members, interested parties, and industry bodies such as Minerals Council, Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Association of Mine Managers South Africa, Zimbabwe Chamber of Mines, Zambia Chamber of Mines etc. as well as a link between Universities, Government and Industry in order to ensure that Policy, Skills Development and Industry are aligned to ascertain a sustainable mining industry.
The main objectives of this working group are to:
- Provide legal information to mining companies and suppliers wanting to navigate the legislative framework of conducting business in the Southern African Region.
- Provide information and liaise with governments in the region about the impacts of policy uncertainty and radical policy shifts.
- Start, implement and monitor Joint Corporate Social Responsibility projects in underprivileged mining communities in the region.
- Set up an advisory boards aimed at positioning AHK members and industry for mining in the future i.e.
- Mining 4.0: The Connected Mine
- The High Tech Mine: New Equipment and Machines
- Mining: The Future Mine Now (What new technologies can be implemented now)
- Promote German technologies and beneficiation in the Southern African Region.
The principal task of the working group mining committee is to tackle the legislative, digitalization, modernization, investment, skills, health and safety, environmental, research and development challenges for the current and future Mining Industry in the region.
This is attained through the following sub-committees:
- Business Development
- Legal and Compliance
- Skills development and R&D
|The Acting Chair Person of the Working Group
Mr Leigh McMaster
If you have questions regarding the working groups for mining or are interested in becoming a member or would simply like to present at one of the working group meetings, please reach out to: